Author Topic: Need a tank...  (Read 1899 times)

Offline DocT

Need a tank...
« on: January 12, 2005, 04:40:58 AM »
Bought my 91 VX from a used car dealership they said it just needed the battery charged well I got it home and its got more problems than that. The Tank had corrosion in it so bad it fouled the rear carb ... after rebuilding it and cleaning the petcock and cleaning the tank I finally got it running good and strong... only one problem now I have tell tale signs of gas seepage , eating paint, warping plastic etc... Is this a common occurence? Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Rick

• VXaholic
  • 76 yrs. old. Every day above ground is a good day
Need a tank...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:11:46 PM »
I have tell tale signs of gas seepage , eating paint, warping plastic etc... Is this a common occurence? Any help will be appreciated.
Hi DocT -

No, this is not a common occurence.  Leaking gasoline is dangerous.  

JB Weld might be a good temporary stopgap for the leaks in your tank, but a thorough acid cleaning, brazing of the leaks, and repainting might be the best way to go until you find a better used tank.  

Good luck.  Please keep us posted.

Rick    

Offline Rick

• VXaholic
  • 76 yrs. old. Every day above ground is a good day
Need a tank...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:13:57 PM »
I have tell tale signs of gas seepage , eating paint, warping plastic etc... Is this a common occurence? Any help will be appreciated.
Hi DocT -

No, this is not a common occurrence.  Leaking gasoline is dangerous.  

JB Weld might be a good temporary stopgap for leaks in your tank, but a thorough acid cleaning, brazing of the leaks, and repainting might be the best way to go until you find a better used tank.  

Good luck.  Please keep us posted.

Rick