Author Topic: 1992 vx800 part out 32k miles  (Read 1911 times)

Offline 92vx800

1992 vx800 part out 32k miles
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »
So as you can tell with my post history, i have had a few issues with the bike. And its gotten to the point where it is an inconvenience. The current issue is that there is a short somewhere and I cannot locate it even if i had a gun to my head. The bike still starts up and runs, but run it too long and the main fuse will pop along with the RR overheating.

The bike has a brand new (less then 1000 miles) set of Bridgestone Bt023 110-80-18 and 150-70-17s

The gas tank has been relined less then 2 months ago with the kreem kit and also a new petcock with about 5 tanks ran through it. One tiny dent when it fell from the center stand.

I have a brand new Suzuki OEM throttle cable that has been on the bike for about a month.

The air boxes have no cracks, but the hoses haven't been so lucky.

The motor burns a bit of oil, the clutch has just been replaced with less then 1000 miles as well. 33k miles

The exhaust is stock headers with the stock baffles cut off and replaced with something the p.o threw together.

The seat has just been reupholstered 4 months ago in black marine vinyl so sitting in the sun or the rain is what it was made for!

Drive line is in good condition: no whining, no clunking, no rough spots.

Head light assembly is in good condition. The same goes for the tail light assembly and license plate light assembly.

If there is anything else you would be interested in just say so in the reply and I will let you know of the condition and if its available or not. Ultimately I'm scraping together money for a down payment on a new Yamaha fz09 so the headaches will hopefully disappear.

Offline 92vx800

Re: 1992 vx800 part out 32k miles
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:06 AM »
BTW: I am located in Southern California. Shipping in the U.S is guaranteed, outside of the U.S. is a possibility.

Offline tworide

• VXaholic
  • North "Jawja" Mtns
    • T.W.O.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
For what it's worth, the fuse protects the bike wiring/battery wiring from a possible short in in the charging system itself. That's were your problem lies. There's only two parts there, the R/R and the stator coil, and not much wiring. A systems check with a volt/ohmmeter can go a long way in determining where the fault is. This is not an un-fixable problem, it may be annoying as hell, but albeit it's simple. Lots of assistance on the forum, just ask.

If you don't want to attempt further repairs, sell it as a mechanics special, it is a complete running and registered bike in pretty good condition, and you'll probably get more for it that way than the parts value, and it will be single transaction with no leftover junk (there will be plenty!) in your garage, parting a bike is a much larger hassle and time commitment for you than you realize, specially on a nich
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:06:44 AM by tworide »
'92 VX
'98 DR350SE
'72 Penton Jackpiner
http://www.twowheelsonly.com/vx.htm

Offline pago cruiser

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »
+1.  What he said.

That said, if you decide to break 'er, I'll take a front (or rear, as they are identical) airbox snorkel for $10...
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...