Author Topic: Vicki the Street  (Read 8971 times)

Offline bexupnorth

Vicki the Street
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »
Haha! the man said I might be first if I was quick so I was  ;D

Plan is to do a basic rebuild and take her for a spin, then if it works as expected I'm going to see if I can create a poor mans Diavel Strada

So far all I've done is coat her in ACF50 to stem the corrosion and do a general check to see if everything's in the boxes (which it looks like it is). I've also emptied the tank of what little bit of petrol was still in there and breathed a sigh of relief that it hasn't stripped the lining off the tank.

Next up is to check the engine turns over and start changing the fluids as she's been sat for a long time in a damp garage with no attention.

Offline motorcyclist

Re: Vicki the Street
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
I would start with cleaning carbs, finding spark and reassembly.
I like smoke and lightning, Heavy metal thunder, Racing in the wind, And the feeling that I'm under...

Offline bikemad

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »
it's a shame how some people neglect things i often wonder what their teeth look like ?  :rolleyes:

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:05:56 AM »
Having spoken to the previous owner, he was gutted that he'd let it get like this, he'd planned to do a full rebuild, but life just got in the way and before he knew it 10 years had flown past, but I know what you mean.

Got the carbs off mid week ready to strip and clean them, but only because I cannot for the life of me persuade the "bung" on the left hand side of the motor to come loose. Plan today is to make a proper spanner to fit the slot and try again after soaking the bung in WD-40 since Tuesday.

The back wheel has been out of the bike for a while and was shoved in temporarily to get it in the back of the van for transport so there's no spacers to hold it in place properly. I'm a bit worried that when I push it across against the shaft drive I can't turn the wheel  :blink: :-\

Offline bikemad

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:35:26 AM »
The old stuck bung hey ?  make a tool out of a bit of flat steel that fits exactly shaped to the slot of the plug with a grinder i made one welded to a bit of flat steel that fits up against the alt cover .

WD40 is a waste of time it's normally the o ring on the bung that holds on like superman ? a bit of heat from a heat gun around the altenator case and hit the bung with a few good taps with a wooden drift and hammer on the bung will help

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:40:27 AM »
Cheers BM,

I did exactly this, but actually only needed to use a set of mole grips once I had a piece of steel made that fitted the slot well.  I can report that the engine does indeed turn over, so my basket case isn't a total basket case!  That was about it this weekend other than grumbling every time I had to walk past her to do the other jobs I'd been "asked" to do, still my brownie point bank is pretty full so I should be able to make some progress this week  :angel:

Offline Nix

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
Hey bex, get that engine running - I want to hear what those exhausts sound like lol! ;D

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
Hey Nix,

Working towards that goal, but more slowly than I would like...

Stripped the rear carb last night to find a split diaphragm. Fortunately there was a spare carb in one of the boxes and the diaphragm in that was OK. The needle seat was OK and there was very little gunge in the carb bowls so just a general clean up and I can check it back on the bike. One step nearer to getting her started   ;D

Ade

Offline tworide

• VXaholic
  • North "Jawja" Mtns
    • T.W.O.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
While you have the carbs off you should consider replacing the float valve seat o-rings, these can be problematic leakers that can cause catastrophic engine failure. :o
'92 VX
'98 DR350SE
'72 Penton Jackpiner
http://www.twowheelsonly.com/vx.htm

Offline scootin800

• VXaholic
  • skidder
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
 I have a spare brand new in the package JBM Industries rear carb diaphram if needed.
'91 VX800
'00 Intruder engine
'07 M50 transmission
3 1/2" Rox risers
Hepco rack & engine guards

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:28:46 AM »
Thanks TwoRide, is there a kit I should be buying to do the full carb or can I just replace O rings with something modern and generic that has been built with the expectation of ethanol in fuel?

scootin, thanks for the offer, if I need one I'll let you know, my spare did feel a bit "papery" :(

Ade

Offline tworide

• VXaholic
  • North "Jawja" Mtns
    • T.W.O.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:31 AM »
Use the OEM Mikuni o-rings, either from Suzuki or motorcycle carb parts suppliers.
'92 VX
'98 DR350SE
'72 Penton Jackpiner
http://www.twowheelsonly.com/vx.htm

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
A little more progress last night. I noticed the starter motor and the coolant pipe from the back cylinder were both loose so spent an hour or so getting these back into place.  Nothing too exciting so didn't bother taking any pics. I also had a look at getting the exhaust back on but need some new gaskets before it makes any sense to actually fit anything. I've got some new stainless bolts set aside for when this is ready, possibly the shiniest bit on the bike so far  :) 

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 03:53:40 AM »
Edit that last bit, I noticed that the sheath protecting the wires from the starter etc was a bit frayed so decided to pop the cover back off and put a grommet around the  cut out. No idea why, but getting the lid back on was an absolute nightmare and I could see why the previous owner has shortened the bolt that sits under the coolant hose housing.

Over the weekend I put a few odds and ends back on the bike, things like the seat and tank holding assemblies. Then I came across my first real challenge. The cylinders in the rear brake caliper are seized solid. For now I've soaked them in penetrating oil and walked slowly away, to be honest I think they're toast, but need to get them out of the caliper anyway. Any ideas on how to do this?

Ade

Offline bexupnorth

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »
The answer to that question was actually "Dead easy" once I'd put a screwdriver either side of the piston and levered it out. Rear brake is now fully refurbed and ready to go back on the bike. Once I get the back wheel back in as the rear tyre seems to have grown too fat to fit between the swinging arms, daft thing is I know it came out of there so time to walk away again. Quite a bit of progress made now (that needs pictures I know!) with footrests, rear brake controls and new shiny lines, front carburetor, fuel tap and other odds and ends back on.

Something that is also proving a challenge is the seat lock which I can't fathom out where it goes. I've a sneaky suspicion I'm trying to put it on the wrong side of the bike at the moment (same side as the rear brake). Anyone any ideas?

Ade