Author Topic: Spannas ViXen  (Read 9511 times)

Offline oilundernails

Re: Spannas ViXen
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »
The fork seal again, the late Tworide recommended first trying scraping the seal clean with a plastic tool. It is disappointing when someone else spots a fault that you missed, just the fact you missed it. At least you know its been passed, on the whole I'd sooner know of something about to fall apart than ride on until it did.

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »
The fork seal again, the late Tworide recommended first trying scraping the seal clean with a plastic tool. It is disappointing when someone else spots a fault that you missed, just the fact you missed it. At least you know its been passed, on the whole I'd sooner know of something about to fall apart than ride on until it did.
I've tried the plastic scraper fix on my VX when the fork began to leak oil past the seal. I cut a hook-shaped piece from a thin margarine container. Worked a charm, and have had no problems since!  :blink: You need to go right down, though, past the dust seal to the oil seal proper.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline Spanna

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 12:50:28 AM »
Thanks for your input Max. I actually saw it seeping a little and tried the scrapping the seal with thin plastic. I fulled up the dust cover completely, seemed to work but by the time I got to Beaconsfield from Endeavour Hills you could see fluid again. Anyway was easy to replace seals I used my fork-lift to pop the seal, job took less than 2 hrs for both seals. Did the rear bearings as well, do you guys pull out the inner seals & pack with more grease? The mechanic told me not to bother just use good quality bearings. They nearly knocked me back on swingarm bearings too. How much play is acceptable? mine barely moves.

Mailed red plate paperwork off to the club for a signature before I take it to Vic Roads.

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 05:38:44 AM »
When I did my rear swing arm, I replaced the lot - needle bearings, spacers (that's what the parts list calls them), & dust caps. The spacers will be where the wear is evident, though. I've done this twice now, on two different VX's. The spacers in the bikes I had tended to go 'dry' and a small amount of of water then makes them rust a bit, and, because there's only a small amount of up-and-down movement in the swing arm at the frame end, the needle rollers then wear grooves in them that is the source of the movement. Long swing arms need only a tiny amount of wear to produce relatively large slop at the rear axle ends! And the VX's swing arm is quite long! That, and the bearing axle in the frame is quite short = recipe for movement! I think your mechanic is right, though, just the spacers should do the trick provided your needles are in good nick and you grease everything up well. When you pull the swing arm apart, it should be quite evident to you.

Someone suggested elsewhere that you drill and insert a grease nipple to the underside of the swing arm to assist with lubrication in the future. Not a bad idea, although I didn't take this step.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 07:06:52 AM »
Thanks Max, I just ordered the bearings from Z1Enterprises but didn't consider the spacers :'(

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
Use water proof grease, the type they use on boat trailer wheel bearings and give the spacer and bolt a smear as well.
No rust on my bolts at all, use the same stuff on my steering head bearings.

Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
 I got an advisory on the MOT (RWC) for about 1.5 mm side to side movement on the swing arm, so it was considered passable and rideable, but the message was don't bring it back the same next year. I've just stripped down my swingarm, the right side was like Max says, dried out and rusty, only lasted 7 years :(.The left side is protected by being in the drive shaft tube, it was in much better shape. I'm pretty sure you'll need the spacers, they are the inner race of the bearing, so they will likely to be grooved, if not rusty and pitted too. The universal joint was a puzzle, I knew it just comes out, but it wouldn't, bad words, tea, a look at the book, and then somehow it was orientated right and bingo. The middle spacer is just that, it's mild steel, I cut off 4mm off it with a hacksaw, so I can use the sv650 parts, 2mm longer spacers.  I'm going to put in the grease nipple, at least I'll drill and tap a hole, and plug it until I get one. I'm sure that's worth the little effort, because do it when it's all back and there's going to be swarf going into the shiny new bearings.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
where do you drill for a grease nipple?

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 02:55:49 PM »
In the middle I suppose. Maybe I'll drill a couple in the middle spacer, right at the ends so some grease will get into the rollers.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 05:37:42 AM »
OK so here are a couple of pics of the 2 into 1 exhaust with honda vfr800 can fitted. I checked carb balance & took for a spin, feels good but not used to hearing the fuel pump over engine noise! Just waiting to get paperwork back so I can register.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 03:25:41 AM »
Got paperwork back & trotted off to Vic Roads Dandy ... Got knocked back for club rego due to compliance plate date 06/90 they say not 25years old yet even though documented manufactured date is '90.
I've been told to try at other branches as its a bit of a grey area, but due to big changes coming into effect end of Jan there's been a big rush on club reg I think VicRoads have tightened up.  :(

Offline Only1MADMaN

• It's all about the VTwin!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
Hey. Did you just join the VX800 Facebook page?

Good to see you on here as well.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 04:58:37 AM »
yes I did!

Offline Spanna

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 05:01:23 AM »
Just an update for any local guys who want to red plate your VX. Only put year of manufacture on paperwork not month & go to Carlton VicRoads, no problems there I now have a club plates on my VX!

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »
Hey. Did you just join the VX800 Facebook page?

Good to see you on here as well.
There are at least 2 FB pages for VX800. Which one?

anything