Author Topic: VS800 Foot controls  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Only1MADMaN

• It's all about the VTwin!
VS800 Foot controls
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
Ok.

Straight to it.

Vs800 has striking similarity to the VX800. Most in part due to the fact the VX was made from the VS.

I want to know if anyone has thought of, or changed to the VS800 forward control foot position.

I have run over 2 problems myself and that is

1- There are no mounting brackets attached to the frame of the VX like on the VS

And

2- They widened the VX frame to mount the radiator flush instead of protruding on the VS.

I don't mind the seating position but would like to get a bit more of a cruiser feel

Any help or just some thoughts would be great.

Cheers in advance. 

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
Re: VS800 Foot controls
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:06 AM »
Buy a vs????
Or maybe a bar with more setback, I think 2" is the limit.
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
Buy a vs????
Or maybe a bar with more setback, I think 2" is the limit.

If I wanted a VS I would have bought one. All that chrome :mellow: , the tall handle bars  :o and the battery positioning........  :(
I think I just threw up in my mouth.
The point being made is, the VX is an all round bike, that hands down, makes the VS look dated in any year model.
I'm tall and having me legs angled back isn't the most comfortable riding position.
The VS foot controlles only move the pegs forward about 6". It would mean my legs are at 45 degrees instead of 35 degrees back. It's a small but noticeable difference.

It's an idea I'm toying with but haven't ruled out.

Cheers

Offline Tilos

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:10:13 PM »
VS800 meh
I different animal
Here's mine:
Sorry, no sissy bar, pillow top button tufted seats, or old school buckhorn bars :o

Note the extended passenger pegs, I use them often...for me.
Note the 4" forward rider pegs...comfy too.
A different look, white tank, black tins:

;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:22:56 PM by Tilos »

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »
The VS is a ready-made cruiser, and VX sort of came from them, but as more of an all rounder, so they get customised towards whatever the owner likes to ride. From bigbads snowmobile dragster to Harley style. I certainly like the VX as it is quite tall and so am I. I have the bars up a bit and have also re-upholstered a spare saddle with more foam, I can still get my feet down but my legs aren't so bent.
I think maybe there are more owners that mainly do modifications to improve the basic design and accessorise. Small things that are relatively easy to do. And also there are some that want to turn it into a whole different bike. It's each to their own, depends if you have the time, means and inclination.
 Footward pegs seem like a good thing to have on a long trip, I find myself just stretching my legs out off the pegs on the slow bits. I'd consider some flip down ones. When I re-did my saddle, I made it longer, it's more for a choice of position. I don't speak from experience but have read that the sitting back position puts pressure on your back after a while.

Offline Tilos

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »
The VS is a ready-made cruiser, and VX sort of came from them, but as more of an all rounder, so they get customised towards whatever the owner likes to ride. From bigbads snowmobile dragster to Harley style. I certainly like the VX as it is quite tall and so am I. I have the bars up a bit and have also re-upholstered a spare saddle with more foam, I can still get my feet down but my legs aren't so bent.
I think maybe there are more owners that mainly do modifications to improve the basic design and accessorise. Small things that are relatively easy to do. And also there are some that want to turn it into a whole different bike. It's each to their own, depends if you have the time, means and inclination.
 Footward pegs seem like a good thing to have on a long trip, I find myself just stretching my legs out off the pegs on the slow bits. I'd consider some flip down ones. When I re-did my saddle, I made it longer, it's more for a choice of position. I don't speak from experience but have read that the sitting back position puts pressure on your back after a while.
And that's just it, cruisers don't have to have a laid back, weight on you tail bone rider position, or ride/steer like a rototiller.
I'm all about ergos, the reason the short risers on my VS pic'ed are flipped to move the bars forward, putting more of my weight on my buttocks/hamstrings, not my tail bone.
Think of it as more Hopper than Fonda  ;)

I made those 4" forwards, with controls also moved forward, on the VS to open up my leg angle/bend and made those passenger peg extension for another foot position, both for ergos/comfort.
And I can ride all day...'til I run out of gas  :rolleyes:

Ergos on the VX, shave the seat step back so I could stretch out a little:

For me, moving the VX pegs and controls forward would be complex, and I would just put some pegs out there instead, if I thought I needed that.
With the torque of the VX shifting would not be needed and the rear brake is just for parking lot speeds for me.
jmo
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:25:09 PM by Tilos »

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the Intruder foot controls?

That sit inine with the gear selector and the gear leaver attaches directly to the spline.

I don't think it would be that hard to mount the selectors but the problem I'm have is mounting the foot pegs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the VS. The reason I have the VX is a good mate owns a VS and said
"buy the VX"

The idea has been put forward and most feel strongly on the matter, that the VX is not to be modified.
I know that I can't, in good faith, modify the VX too much. So I'm keeping mods very simple.

Admitadly, I've not rode it more the 500 meters. It's an idea in progress.

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:37:02 AM »
There's this idea from a (former) member here. No controls - you'd need to shift your feet back to the regular pegs for that, but achieves the position you want. Fabricated from deformed bar with suitable attachment brackets and 'foot holders' welded to their ends, and goes through the gap between frame and motor:
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
There's this idea from a (former) member here. No controls - you'd need to shift your feet back to the regular pegs for that, but achieves the position you want. Fabricated from deformed bar with suitable attachment brackets and 'foot holders' welded to their ends, and goes through the gap between frame and motor:

They are "High Way Bars" Im talking (Basicly) mounting VS foot pegs and controls on a VX.
As in the same control position as the VS.

This is the Intruder seating position

This is the VX seating position

Im not here to make enemies, more, start an open discussion on how one might make this possible

Turn minds in gear to create, overcome and fit said controls to a VX.

Its using the combined minds to try and find a solution.

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
"I'm not here to make enemies"- Don't worry, you'd have to try pretty hard, it's a very chilled out forum. I can't remember any sort of negative post in all the years I've been looking here.
Those 2 photos show very clearly the difference in the bikes. The VS guy looks like he's on his tail bone, but with a more padded saddle, I like just a bit more lean forward. Actually, when I've got a pillion, my feet seem very close to theirs, so a small shift forward would be a good thing. Having the gear shift directly on the shaft would likely improve the gear changing too, the extra linkages all add up to play and wobble.
The subject was visited not too long ago.
 http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3361.0   

Offline Tilos

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Has anyone ever seen the Intruder foot controls?

That sit inine with the gear selector and the gear leaver attaches directly to the spline.

I don't think it would be that hard to mount the selectors but the problem I'm have is mounting the foot pegs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the VS. The reason I have the VX is a good mate owns a VS and said
"buy the VX"

The idea has been put forward and most feel strongly on the matter, that the VX is not to be modified.
I know that I can't, in good faith, modify the VX too much. So I'm keeping mods very simple.

Admittedly, I've not rode it more the 500 meters. It's an idea in progress.

I've never seen one except in the pics I just posted :laugh:
Just so you know, the brake pedal on the VS has a pivot on the peg bracket, as seen in the pic of the white bike
Take another look at your friend's bike  ;D
Ken

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
"I'm not here to make enemies"- Don't worry, you'd have to try pretty hard, it's a very chilled out forum. I can't remember any sort of negative post in all the years I've been looking here.
Those 2 photos show very clearly the difference in the bikes. The VS guy looks like he's on his tail bone, but with a more padded saddle, I like just a bit more lean forward. Actually, when I've got a pillion, my feet seem very close to theirs, so a small shift forward would be a good thing. Having the gear shift directly on the shaft would likely improve the gear changing too, the extra linkages all add up to play and wobble.
The subject was visited not too long ago.
 http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3361.0   

Cheers Oil. I looked at the link and see that the idea of the VS controls are still put forward but it gets flip to "Highway Pegs"

Tworide makes a valid point, by changing the foot control position it unbalances the bike through corners.

The seating hight and position are very similar on the VS and VX. I do think that it would change the VX from a sport bike feel to a cruzer feel, drastically changing how the bike would be ridden.

I'm steering away from the idea now and will maybe attempt it after I take the bike on a bike run and see how I feel afterwards.

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:24:38 PM »
It looks to me from the pic that the VS footpeg mounting brackets wrap around from under the exhausts. The only bracket you could use to similarly mount pegs on a VX frame (unless you want to weld onto the frame) would be the bar that runs cross-wise under the frame towards the front and has 2 allen bolts in it. I imagine that you might be able to fabricate a mounting plate that wraps up around the exhausts a-la-VS, and then weld or bolt pegs onto it. You could then use the inboard ends as pivots for the brake and gear levers, although you'd also need to fabricate suitable linkages. Alternatively, you could use the front engine bolts, like on the pic I posted, and fabricate mounting plates to suit. You'd still have to re-arrange the linkages, though. Or just have the footpegs, and shift your feet to the original pegs when you need to shift gear or use the rear brake.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline toddb

• VXaholic
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:23 PM »
To open up the riding position on my VX I added height to the seat and removed the rubber foot peg cushions from the foot pegs, then ground down the little metal tip at the end of the foot peg. The end effect was an extra 2.5 inches of leg room allowing my knees to have that much extra room to flex. It's a very comfy and cheap solution (for me) and it makes the seating ergonomics much more comfortable if you have arthritis or some other leg/back issue. Canadian Alan brought me an unmolested set of pegs so I still have standard pegs too. But raising the seat height with extra foam and removing the foot peg rubber opens up the knee a lot.
1972 CB 125
1984 Ninja 900
1990 VX 800

Offline Iused2nighthawk

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:57:28 AM »
1 year later... too all those how said it couldn't be done... with a little browsing, this new owner of the Vx800 found this:
http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=181

Behold! A "crusier" style vx800 !
" Sit back and enjoy the ride. "