Author Topic: MADMaN's 1991 VX...SO FAR  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Only1MADMaN

• It's all about the VTwin!
MADMaN's 1991 VX...SO FAR
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »

It all starts with a spark of inspiration!

Something small,Not something that shows itself through clear origins, but if you squint your eyes you can just make it out.

I was happy riding around on my Yamaha XV250 Virago. Great fuel economy, awesome handling and a rumble from the exhaust any previsional ride would love.
But once off my "P's", it's safe to say, I need something that really gets the adrenaline pumping.

After trolling through the local Gum Tree Adds (Free classifieds) I stumble across a Kawasaki GPZ 1000. $500! Lets go take a look!
So I hitch on the trailer and head off.
We come up with some rules on what would be a "SURE FIRE BUY"
or a
"HELL NO STAY CLEAR!"
Dose it start?
Dose it roll in gear?
Is there rubber on the back wheel?
(We all know that 1000 get used as burnout bikes right!)

It turned out to be a mess..........coils dont work, radiator pipes missing, seat missing, MASSIVE SCRATCH DOWN CRANK CASE.
and yes rear tyre bald as Peter Garrett's head (Lead vocalists for Midnight Oil, trust me his bald!)
I politely said thanks but no thanks and headed home.

I really had to get rid of the XV250 before I made my next purchase so I decided to put the next bike on hold.

That wasn't to be!

I started to window shop, which turned out to be a bad idea.
I have always liked V Twins, the sound the rumble, the stigma that all V Twin riders had ties to outlaw bike gangs.
But I also like that naked look, No fancy race faring, NO glossy paint and NO bullshit!

So I narrowed my search down to V twin 800cc plus........BAMN there she was.
The VX800.
I was shocked at what I had seen, I thought someone had shoehorned a VTwin into a Suzuki sports bike and taken off all the farings.

I stared my google search and got as much info on the bike as I could, after which I just had to have this bike.

So I headed to the owners house to see this crazy feat of engineering in the flesh.
(Being total giddy with excitement I may have overlooked some of the bikes short comings which we will discus at length later in the topic)

The owner had bought the bike new in 1991, loved ever kilometre of its 146.000KLM on the clock. He was very emotionally attached to the bike, but being in his 75th year the last trip for rego would be its fate. He just couldn't handle the weight of the bike and in his words
"If I was to drop the bike on myself I'd have to call the wife for help".

After a long chat I couldn't leave without the bike. He had $1600 (knowing the bike was well worth that price) I couldn't leave without a small deal, he said
"make it $1500 and its yours" I shock his hand  and then loaded up the bike.

NOW ALL THE FUN BEGINS............OR DOES IT?

Just from having a quick look over the bike it needed.....
New rear disc break - Current disc break was well past minimum wear

New Tires - Flat spot in the centre of the rear wheel looked like it had been ridden in an upright position...even through corners
New paint - The clear coat had lost its battle with the elements and the paint would have to be redone.
Front Forks - Seals replacing
Genral clean and back on the road

Pretty much everything Ive taken off has needed repairing or replacing.

So the bike gets set up for the rebuild!

Always good to have family that can help when the gears get moving.
and its always good to see the younger family getting involved.
We pulled apart the forks in what was meant to be a day job with mates to fit new seals.

But once taken apart........we found this!

Yes......someone had replaced the fork oil with Peanut Butter

And what I didn't find.
Turns out that this fork had been repaired and it was a shoty repair at that.
The fork seal was not correct and it was also missing the oil lock piece.

So I had to order the part and wait up up to 2 weeks for it to arrive.

Its starting to get out of hand with what needs replacing and my budget is growing by the spanner turn.
The breaks were the next to come under fire

I was just going to clean the brakes and paint them before being fitted back on the bike.
That wasn't to be. I found that someone had removed the breaks with force and not only damaged the seals but scored the pistons.

After trying in vain at a local Suzuki dealer in my home town. I ordered a break rebuild kit from a dealer with an online store over 250klms away. They were more then happyl to take my money and give me great customer service in recipt of parts.

As the exhaust was a little neglected, I decided to take them off, clean them and give them a coat of paint.
Turns out they're was some muffler putty used to repair a hole. As we cleaned away as much of the rust as we could a few more holes appeared. Im aware that I probably should replace these but I need to scrap past rego first then Ill head to the wreckers for header pipes and new aftermarket mufflers.

Ive now coated the exhaust in heat paint. Just need them back on the bike and bake the paint on.

While the exhaust, wheels and body parts are off I thought I would clean and paint the swing arm.

Springs painted and back on.

I decided to paint the bike wheels black with a polished outer edge.
We paint stripped the edge and cleaned the wheels

Finally got the painting booth and tyres masked up and ready to paint

UNDERCOAT!

TOPCOAT............

BLACK

OK.
Far from finish and way from road worthy. I decided to have a look at the TOP 10 tips when buying a VX on the forum, most of which my bike has issues with.

Ive repaired the petcock and it should stop the fuel leak. At 5000klm from new, the bikes motor had the dreaded leaky petcock syndrome and it was replaced with a new one under warranty. and retro fitted the vacuum petcock.

I also decided to check the final drive............DOH!

The screw side looks like I can ride it about another 50,000klm

but the final side looks like I could get away with 20,000klm.

As you can see, lack of regular maintenance is this bikes biggest killer. The grease in the final drive looks like it might have been there from factory. As these parts are quite expensive, I will just have to proceed until its completely finished.

This brings us to the halfway mark on my build. Hope you have enjoyed the photos so far and hope that you stick around to see the final product.

Cheers
MADMaN

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
Re: MADMaN's 1991 VX...SO FAR
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:38:36 AM »
Make sure you put grease under the 3 clamping plates when you refit that ring, I would be replacing both parts.

Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Make sure you put grease under the 3 clamping plates when you refit that ring, I would be replacing both parts.

Richard

Yeah ganna pack that bad boy full of marine grease. I would be replacing the parts the if my budget could stretch that far.
$218 for the final drive and $440 for the screw drive, not to mention what else could have problems once unearthed. I appreciate the advice but Will have to wait.

CHEERS

Offline Spanna

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
while you have it stripped down I'd be doing the swingarm bearings, I'd be suprised if they are ok

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Cheers Spanna
Safety or money? I'm running a thin line here!!!

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:56 PM »

Richard

Yeah ganna pack that bad boy full of marine grease. I would be replacing the parts the if my budget could stretch that far.
$218 for the final drive and $440 for the screw drive, not to mention what else could have problems once unearthed. I appreciate the advice but Will have to wait.

CHEERS

Honda Moly 60 such as is available here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Tubes-Genuine-Pro-Honda-Moly-60-Paste-New-in-Package-/281163009087 is ideal for this, in my view. Use very sparingly, and re-greasing every 10,000 k.m. to avoid the problem you have identified. Using grease as you suggest will cause lots of fling, and may not be the whole answer.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »

Richard
You will probably find, as I did, that the wear in the groove is around the existing retainer plates, and that the plates themselves have been worn. New plates are cheap, and if you can turn the driven joint 60 degrees by replacing the engaging pins in new holes so the retaining plates bear on unworn parts of the groove, you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne.

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:51:47 PM »
while you have it stripped down I'd be doing the swingarm bearings, I'd be suprised if they are ok
Sam's quite right. Here's a pic (and discussion of the replacement process) of what the worn inner sleeves (called "spacers") in the parts list often look like: http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1259.msg14936#msg14936 You can see where the needles from the roller bearings have worn grooves when the bearing surfaces have rusted. A 'bush mechanic' fix would be to turn the spacers 180 degrees, thoroughly grease, and re-install them. As you can see from the pic, there's a "long" and a "short" plain (i.e. unworn) face. The trick would be to make sure the unworn end mates with the needle rollers. It'd get you through a roadworthy inspection  :wacko: and might last long enough for you to save up and replace the lot.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:57:41 PM by Mad Max »

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
Sam's quite right. Here's a pic (and discussion of the replacement process) of what the worn inner sleeves (called "spacers") in the parts list often look like: http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1259.msg14936#msg14936 You can see where the needles from the roller bearings have worn grooves when the bearing surfaces have rusted. A 'bush mechanic' fix would be to turn the spacers 180 degrees, thoroughly grease, and re-install them. As you can see from the pic, there's a "long" and a "short" plain (i.e. unworn) face. The trick would be to make sure the unworn end mates with the needle rollers. It'd get you through a roadworthy inspection  :wacko: and might last long enough for you to save up and replace the lot.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne

Cheers Max

I'm running out of money at the moment. There is still allot to do but until I sell the XV250 the wife won't sponser any more money  :-\
Also, if I tell her it needs more parts I might be sleeping in the dog house.
LoL

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
 Great to see a rebuild documented. I like seeing workshops too....a dartboard adds at least one star.

If the swing  arm has no play in it, great, but judging by the state of the front forks, it's a fair bet that they are heading the same way. I don't know if you saw my recent discovery of the swing arm pivot bolt being hollow and cross drilled to the spacers? It's got to be worth at least trying to push some grease through the swing arm bearings. You have the kick plates off, so all you would have to do is pull out the dust cover on the left side end. Mine were ok  for annual road worthy check (MOT here) for year after year, then suddenly they were loose. The swing arm parts aren't that expensive, but all the little bits add up. You do know about using a kit for the SV650?

Women in general are good at sliding unnecessary luxury purchases quietly through, and for justifying them when caught.......my wife in what looks to me to be a new outfit says "This old thing? I've had it ages, got it with my birthday money" - then somehow I'm on the back foot for failing to notice it before and also for being suspicious. I work in a jewellery store, and the number of times the proud owner of some new  (and entirely uneeded earrings) is intending to pass them off as old friends is staggering. ("He'll never notice..") Maybe us guys should take a leaf from their book.

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »
Great to see a rebuild documented. I like seeing workshops too....a dartboard adds at least one star.

If the swing  arm has no play in it, great, but judging by the state of the front forks, it's a fair bet that they are heading the same way. I don't know if you saw my recent discovery of the swing arm pivot bolt being hollow and cross drilled to the spacers? It's got to be worth at least trying to push some grease through the swing arm bearings. You have the kick plates off, so all you would have to do is pull out the dust cover on the left side end. Mine were ok  for annual road worthy check (MOT here) for year after year, then suddenly they were loose. The swing arm parts aren't that expensive, but all the little bits add up. You do know about using a kit for the SV650?

Women in general are good at sliding unnecessary luxury purchases quietly through, and for justifying them when caught.......my wife in what looks to me to be a new outfit says "This old thing? I've had it ages, got it with my birthday money" - then somehow I'm on the back foot for failing to notice it before and also for being suspicious. I work in a jewellery store, and the number of times the proud owner of some new  (and entirely uneeded earrings) is intending to pass them off as old friends is staggering. ("He'll never notice..") Maybe us guys should take a leaf from their book."

Cheers OilUnderNails

I do think a shed should be a work space but also a place to drink and talk shit. LOL

As for the swing arm, where dose the play accrue? I think it's ok but can't be sure.

Wow and I thought I was alone on the wifes purchases.well now we have 2 things in common.

LoL

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
The check is for lateral movement at the back of the wheel, there shouldn't be any at all. If you have the wheel out,  try to feel any play holding the final drive and moving it side to side. There's a lot of leverage, especially with the wheel in, and the bearing isn't that wide, so it shows up without much wear. For about 1/16 inch movement at the rear of the tyre I was given an "advisory" and passed, meaning basically don't bring it back like that next year 'cos it'll fail. If there's a lot play then the handling will be affected, wallowy going into corners, of course I hadn't noticed any difference, but then started to think I did once I knew about it :-\. Quite common for the bolt just not to be done up tight enough too, which gives the same result but is easier fixed.

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Cheers again.

Offline Only1MADMaN

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the support and extensive knowledge on my build.
I'm very close to completion and will have more pics and info very soon.

Thanks again
MADMaN

Offline DrDanimalSize

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Wow, lookin' good, can't wait to see the latest pics  :ph34r: