Author Topic: Boss Build  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Raucus

Boss Build
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly I just want to say hi as I am both new to this awesome community and to the VX800. I have been riding for over 20 years and recently acquired a silver 1990 VX800 that I have since fallen in love with (Pic below). I originally got it with the intention of patching it up and selling it on, however, after a couple of rides to test out the now functioning front brake I have decided to keep it and slowly restore and customize it. In researching the many rad builds in this forum I have gotten some really good ideas but I also came across the black beauty in the attached picture. I am amazed at how this build looks both sexy and mean at the same time. I wonder if anyone here knows who did it? I hope that over the next couple of years I can create something equally as jaw dropping. Respect to everyone on the VX800 forum and to this kick ass bike. It is certainly not your dime a dozen bike. It's a V-Twin, shaft driven beast with the looks of a super model.

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
Re: Boss Build
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »
yup, that black bike is a good looker!  Where did you find the pic?  A few things about that bike that you should know.... it has an Intruder engine in it. The rocker covers are the clue.... not a big point but I thought you should know.

Keep us posted!!! Pics! we like pics! We have a pretty good crew here and should be able to help you with most tech issues.

Cheers!
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline Raucus

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:15:57 PM »
That's awesome, thanks Vishnuisgod  :mellow:. I found that picture on pintrest but it didn't have any information on it. It was simply in with a bunch of other Cafe racers. I did wonder about the rocker covers but i thought it might have just been a unique addition like the clearly custom made seat. I will definitely post pics of my bike as it progresses and very much appreciate any advice i can get. Cheers.   ;D

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
Raucus,

A few more things about that bike.....
I think it was/is from Romania....Sibiu actually.
It doesnt have a speedo... just a tacho. or vice versa. best as I can tell.
Because it is using an intruder engine (it may well be a VX engine just with Intruder rocker covers), it doesnt have the top engine mounts.  I dont run with them on either of my VX's..... fwiw.
The eninge gaurd, is after market.  It usually bolts to the front upper engine mount, either they still used the frame side of the mount, and a spacer... or.... the covers were fangeled on there and the engine mounts are there.
The highway position looks killer. Shorter bar, so youre leaning more, and legs up... way up and out front.... I dont think I could do that for more than an hour.
The "air cleaner" looking thingy on the right side isnt an air cleaner, its hiding the rad over flow....
Lastly the body panels have been butchered and are Zip tied on. Heck i dont think those are VX maybe VS (intruder) side panels.

I love the rear fender and I want to know more about how they mount it.

If you want I could send you the email of the guy that I think owns it, and you can ask him all sorts of questions....
cheers
alan

must.
faster.

Offline Raucus

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks so much Alan,

That info is great and I would love that email address thanks mate. I agree with your statement about highway position. It looks sick but without a back rest you couldn't do it for long. I am a teacher by trade so I'd probably ride the normal pegs and throw the legs up to the highway pegs going past the school just to look meaner  :wacko:. That rear fender definitely adds something hey!!!

I certainly don't mind sourcing/using some intruder body parts rather than hacking the original VX ones. I'm not swimming in cash so I might sell the originals and use that money to fund the new parts. My bike is actually in remarkably good condition for it's age. The cans have a few holes which could easily be patched but I think I will just go with some slip on's and like the bike we are discussing, change the angle to face upwards a bit more. The headers are still pretty good, no holes anyway.

I look forward to personalising this bike but I will need to concentrate on the usual problems first. Final gear seal leaks a little bit, clutch slips, replacing sparks, oils and greasing everything up. There are also a few vibration noises that need to be isolated and tightened/fixed. I really do appreciate the sharing of your clearly expert knowledge of bikes, and particularly the VX800.  ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Kane.

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:43:57 AM »
kane,

Im glad to hear youre into keeping your VX on the road!!!!  I feel pangs of sadness every time I see one broken for parts....

Ill tell you what; if you want the email address you do a google image search.... theres only 20 results or so... go to the second page and start clicking on links there.... youll find an email address for a guy with a Yahoo account.  I dont know if its current or not, but the asking price of 3500Euros is waaaay high imho..... I dont know the guy or if he knows english, but its worth a try...(also if you want theres an ad for the bike, see what happens when you try to translate the text.....  ;) )

anyways I hope that helps.

cheers
alan
must.
faster.

Offline DKWraith

• Innocent Malevolent
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly I just want to say hi as I am both new to this awesome community and to the VX800. I have been riding for over 20 years and recently acquired a silver 1990 VX800 that I have since fallen in love with (Pic below). I originally got it with the intention of patching it up and selling it on, however, after a couple of rides to test out the now functioning front brake I have decided to keep it and slowly restore and customize it. In researching the many rad builds in this forum I have gotten some really good ideas but I also came across the black beauty in the attached picture. I am amazed at how this build looks both sexy and mean at the same time. I wonder if anyone here knows who did it? I hope that over the next couple of years I can create something equally as jaw dropping. Respect to everyone on the VX800 forum and to this kick ass bike. It is certainly not your dime a dozen bike. It's a V-Twin, shaft driven beast with the looks of a super model.

The bike was modified in Romania, and actually is still in Romania.
http://www.bikeshop.ro/motociclete/anunturi-vanzare-motociclete-second-hand-suzuki-vx%20800-din-1992-380786.html