Author Topic: Restore/dismantle. My dilemma  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
Restore/dismantle. My dilemma
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
Hi everyone. Those who follow this forum might know that I've recently acquired a cheap 1990 VX. It's in going condition, but the tank is holed from rust, and it's general appearance is shabby. My current debate is whether to dismantle it for spares, or, given it's a nearly-going concern, patiently restore it. These are the known issues at this (very early) point:
  • I know tanks in good condition are rare as hen's teeth, and it would be expensive to have the rust cut out of the existing tank.
  • At least one brake rotor needs replacement
  • At least one tyre is worn out
  • Front shocks have minor pitting from rust, the seal condition is unknown
  • Paint, generally, is in very shoddy condition, including on wheels, engine covers, etc
  • It's covered approx 100,000 k.m. (60,000 miles) in its lifetime so far. I'm confident about this as the last owner has had it since 1996.

However, the motor has been started and sounds solid, and everything, superficially at least, seems to work. I haven't been in to the drive train as yet to check condition of splines, etc, and I don't know about carb and fuel pump diaphragms.

What would you do?

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline bexupnorth

Re: Restore/dismantle. My dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
Have you thought about customising it Max? You could fit a tank off a different bike and totally change the look? Sounds like it needs a total rebuild anyway.

Ade

Offline Blade

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
Have you thought about customising it Max? You could fit a tank off a different bike and totally change the look? Sounds like it needs a total rebuild anyway.

Ade

hmmmm....

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:04:56 AM »
And.............I have all those parts...... want a new front rotor?... a set of forks?  hows about some plastics?  Ive been thinking I really need to cut down on my VX spares, especially since most of my VX's are in decent shape. I have 1.5 closets full of spare parts....NOS OEM fairing, got one... and Im not likely to ever use it....tank bra, ditto....

Max, maybe we should talk off line?
NOS wiring loom?
front rim?
I think I have 3 maybe 4 sets of Vx carbs....
I have just about everything you could ever need....
engine?
high compression racing pistons?

cheers
Alan
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline humby

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 05:29:57 AM »
Hi Max,
 I am from Broken Hill NSW. If you decide to scrap the VX i am in need of a running engine or a good rear cylinder and piston. If the side panels are in good condition i would be interested in those .
Humby, Broken Hill Australia

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
Hi Max,
 I am from Broken Hill NSW. If you decide to scrap the VX i am in need of a running engine or a good rear cylinder and piston. If the side panels are in good condition i would be interested in those .
Still undecided, Humby. However, there's another VX owner in Sydney, nearer you, who might help with the side panels - Blade. And Byrne60 is in Canberra. I will likely keep the motor whatever I choose.

Cheers,
Max
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline Blade

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
Humby,

Sorry mate, sold the panels and tank as set awhile ago. I'll keep an eye out with the wreckers here for you.

Blade

Offline Blade

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
These guys:

Motorcyclewreckers.com  in Silverwater (Sydney) have two VX's in stock including engine.

I have bought parts from them before and they are more helpful than most wreckers.

Blade

Offline oilundernails

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
I'd say, at the moment you'll end up spending more than it's worth to restore. That's because they are undervalued, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start appreciating a bit in the next few years as the numbers go down. So if you keep it a good while it might pay off, particularly as you can do it up bit by bit. None of the faults you've seen so far sound totally out of the question to fix. Front rotors are a good bit dearer than rear I don't know why, no way round that unless there's enough thickness left to have it skimmed.Tank could be lined. Tyres wear out anyway, I've got a budget one on the back and for the riding I do, it works fine. Pitted, but otherwise sound, front forks can be bodged without compromising safety, if they're smoothed down, maybe epoxied too. Seals are cheap enough and no real problem if you fix up a tool for the bottom nut, mine's a nut filed square in the middle and jammed on a bit of square bar, been in for several seal changes now. Paint? depends if you just want it tidy or original colour. You don't have to do the whole thing at once.
 Or, you could forget the paint, take out the hack saw and welder and get yourself rigged out with a Fury Road bike to go with your moniker. :mellow:

Offline humby

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »
Thanks guys for your replys, I have to either have my engine bored to the 1st oversize as it was left for 12 months without being started and the old problem of fuel leaking into the rar cylinder washed the oil out and rust formed around the the top ring. This was too dear to hone.
My first priority is to get the engine going I will need oversize pistons and rings, pins and circlips. A complete set of gaskets.
If anybody can direct me to these items I would be very appreciatetive.
I have read all of the forums on the leaking petcock and there has been only one comment on the vacuum tap,
I have a great idear to fix this problem.
I am away over at Nambucca Heads for 2 weeks in the the caravan whilst on the east coast will look for parts.
Safe riding.

Offline humby

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 05:32:02 AM »
Thanks Blade,
I rang and they had just sold the last one to somebody that only wanted a crank shaft.
I will get pistons and have it bored.
Regards humby

Offline Spanna

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 03:35:21 AM »
humby, probably lucky you didn't buy from those wreckers. I bought a "good" compression VX engine off them last year. Big mistake, if you can't go & check it out. When it arrived I hooked it up to a battery & cranked to find it was even worst than my original. I ended up reboring with 0.5mm oversize due to oval bores.

Offline humby

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
Spanna, I am going to do the same, where did you get your Pistons from.

Offline Spanna

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 03:51:54 AM »
humby, sorry its taken so long to reply, been AWAL.
I bought 0.5mm oversize pistons from Mick Hone MCs  local Suzuki dealer that supports older bikes.
You will most likely need to rebore pots. Mine were oval shaped, cost me $80 each to get done by Dandy Engine reconditioners.
They tell me that is is quite common to see oval bores on Vtwins, typically caused by not warming up bike & taking off hard over the years.

Offline OlgieD

• myVX
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:03 AM »
Spanna, I am going to do the same, where did you get your Pistons from.

I did a full engine rebuild a year and a half ago and got 0.5 oversized pistons from cmsnl.com (they're in Holland). Cost me $525 for 2 pistons, 4 exhaust valves and gaskets for an engine rebuild, incl shipping. They were the cheapest I could find at the time.
My engine needed pistons, exhaust valves, gears, and secondary gear. I now have an engine that's made up of an VS800 secondary gear and gears which I got for $100 off ebay, and clutch basket from an VL800. :-D But it all fits and works.
Only downside of the VS/VL stuff is that I don't have a slippery clutch any more. Push starting isn't possible due to that.
Cheers! Olger