Author Topic: Bandit fork on VX800?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline munin

Bandit fork on VX800?
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Hi, new guy here.

Does anyone know if a complete front fork from a 600 bandit will fit on a -94 VX?
I need new headlight and speedometer, and i'm thinking about looking for a complete replacement fork, mainly to get 2 brakediscs.

Thanks! :)

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
Re: Bandit fork on VX800?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:29:03 AM »
Youll likely need more than just forks..... youll need a whole front end. this will include but not be limited to;
forks,
rim,
calipers (and brake lines),
upper and lower triple clamp,
stem, (the vintage is right for them to be similar, but no guarantee, the bearings are probably the same)
master cylinder,
fender and fork brace.

Then you need to know how long they are.... I swapped out the stanchion tubes from a Kat100 (41mm) and kept the lowers. The Kat tubes are about an inch longer so they poke above the triple clamp. That ok for me, I attach a set of clip ons there.

Much more than an inch shorter and youll have some steering issues.
With the 17" conversion AND 1" shorter tubes, you bike will have a very VERY vague feeling front end at 60mph.... its almost asking for a speed wobble..... ask me how I know.

YMMV
Alan
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
something to keep in mind that I didnt think of when I posted last, swap the stanchion tubes from the VX...
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline SFTripod

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
Hey Mr Munin,
        This is what I've done with mine.....brakes & handling are GREAT !  2006 R1 front end, & 4-piston brake calipers......
Nothing clears your head like a full tank of gas....

Offline cwj

• no, I'm not a robot.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »
SFT, did you have to do any fabrication to get this to work? Does you front end sit lower? I'd want to avoid the "nose down" sensation.

Oh! Sorry.

Hi, I'm new here.

Hey Mr Munin,
        This is what I've done with mine.....brakes & handling are GREAT !  2006 R1 front end, & 4-piston brake calipers......

Offline SFTripod

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
Hey CWJ, I did have a machinist friend of mine "cut & extend" the steering stem attached to the R1 lower triple clamp. All Balls has a cross reference spread sheet to provide the steering stem bearing sets---just look for the donor bike, (front end FROM), & then going ON. Could not believe how heavy the OEM triples were for the VX, as opposed to the aluminum setup from the R1.
While the R1 forks are shorter than the VX OEM's, it doesn't have a nose down stance, just not so nose up.
Nothing clears your head like a full tank of gas....

anything