Author Topic: Performance parts  (Read 5212 times)

Offline t120rmike

Performance parts
« on: June 27, 2004, 12:18:35 PM »
I've started looking to upgrade some things.  I've seen the posts and tips on progressive springs, and those are easy to find.  What about braided brake cables?  Who makes them and where should I look.  I'd also like new exhaust, something with a little more thump.  
Mike--90 VX800

Offline 90Elaine

• http://
Performance parts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 05:17:34 PM »
Next to pogressive springs, gold cartridge emmulators for the front forks really improve dampening - made by Race Tech.

I have a 2 to 1 exhaust made by BSM on on of my VX's.  It looks great, saves a considerable amount of weight, and sounds great (it's the Vampire model).  Some owners have installed Jardine exhausts, but IMHO they are too loud.  I have been told that the BSM Vampire isn't a good design but I have not noticed any reduction in power.

for the rear suspension, an upgrade to adjustable preload shocks can improve handling.  Progressive makes several models.  I have installed Works Performance units and am very pleased with the ride.

Replacing stock filters with Uni foam filters reduces costs and they work well.

Adding an aftermarket fork brace can improve stability.  I have a Superbrace but don't know if they are still available for the VX800
Mike Remboldt
a.k.a. "cowkiller"

Offline cloudbreakmd

Performance parts
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 10:38:03 PM »
Once I get the bike running, I was thinking about upgrading the exhuast as well. I want maybe a 2 into 1 midmount or something to go with the sporty lines of the bike. Does anybody know if that's available?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 1983 Suzuki GS750T, 1981 Honda CM400T, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750 TURBO  Formerly: 1993 Suzuki VX800 (Same bike sold again! Yes, I owned it twice)
http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

hero_zero

Performance parts
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:37:22 PM »
The only two into one that I'm aware of is the BSM that Mike mentions above. Mike, didn't that BSM come from Europe??

hero_zero

Performance parts
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 11:56:52 PM »
Even though the stock exhaust is heavy, I think its one of the prettier stock exhaust systems around. I learned this little trick from Rick...drill 4 holes between the rivets on the end of the pipe, and the tone of the exhaust becomes much more manly. Start with four  1/4" holes per pipe and work your way up from there....the bigger the hole, the bigger the noise. No rejetting required, either. I'm pretty pleased with the sound...you can see the holes in this image (along with the Works Performance ARS shocks):

If your exhaust is basically in pretty good shape, this route is a lot cheaper than a new system!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 11:58:29 PM by bwbacon »

hero_zero

Performance parts
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 12:08:34 AM »
Adding an aftermarket fork brace can improve stability.  I have a Superbrace but don't know if they are still available for the VX800
On my commute I had a couple of high speed (90mph) sweepers and did feel the forks flexing. The Superbrace made a big difference in stability. They are a little tricky to install...I had to remove the wheel, fender, and loosen up the triple clamps to get it to go in. Here's the "after" picture:

Offline Peter 8850

Performance parts
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 04:26:21 AM »
Even though the stock exhaust is heavy, I think its one of the prettier stock exhaust systems around. I learned this little trick from Rick...drill 4 holes between the rivets on the end of the pipe, and the tone of the exhaust becomes much more manly.
Or 8 holes drilled 7mm
rejet up 1 nr.

Here's the sound.

Peter 8850

[size=8](Edited by bwbacon)[/size]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 10:50:45 AM by bwbacon »

Offline t120rmike

Performance parts
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 06:41:02 PM »
I like the hole drilling idea, that's clever.  I contacted Jardine Exhausts by email and found out that the only system that they made for the VX has been discontinued.
Mike--90 VX800

Offline Rick

• VXaholic
  • 76 yrs. old. Every day above ground is a good day
Performance parts
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 06:57:06 PM »
Mike -

Goodridge plastic coated ss universal brake hoses work well for me.  These have female fittings on each end that attach to the banjos.  They are available from Dennis Kirk and others.  

I don't notice any difference in braking performance, but others seem to.  Try a set and see what you think.

Rick    

Offline 90Elaine

• http://
Performance parts
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 08:33:22 PM »
Stainless brake lines don't add any braking power, but MAY improve the "feel".  Stock rubber brake lines may expand under load, whereas the stainless lines should have much less strain under load, thereby improving the linearity of braking.    Adding a stainless line for the front brake made both of my VX800 feel much more responsive.
Mike Remboldt
a.k.a. "cowkiller"