Author Topic: Front brake re-build  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Mutt963

Front brake re-build
« on: February 21, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
Hello

Just finished the front brake strip and re-build tonight as it was really binding. I thought I would get away with the pistons but I erred on the side of caution and bought new ones. Have a look at the picture were it's all laid out and tell me if you think the old ones would of been O.K.? I still have them they make very good paper weights there is also something nice about something that has been so well made.

Every thing seemed to go quite well, I just have a little niggle in my mind when I placed the smaller piston in it took a lot more I mean a lot more force to get it in. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't placed it back on the bike yet and bled it up. Next weekend it's the rears turn not looking forward to getting those pins out.  :o Cheers Chris

Before

Before

Laid out

Done

Done

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
Re: Front brake re-build
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »
Hi Chris.

Good looking work! The pics are really helpful.

As to the small piston, did you clean the piston bore thoroughly before inserting the new piston? The pics would suggest so, but perhaps there's still a little bit of crud in there causing the new piston to bind? Maybe try some cut'n'polish compound, or some ultra-fine emery paper (maybe 800 grit)? If not, my own view, for what it's worth, is that the original might be a better option if it slides readily. The front brake's really critically important as it takes the lion's share of the braking load, and it's essential to feel confident it's up to the job.

The rear brake retaining pins are a soda! Don't sweat them at all! There are really nice replacement titanium ones available as well if you want to eliminate the risk of rusting... http://www.ebay.com/itm/251811014955

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia
Dance like nobody's watching!

Offline Mutt963

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
Cheers Max

I won't have chance to get back to it until Saturday due to work commitments.  :'( Thanks for the advice, I really gave it a good clean out with the autosol (a cut and polish compound). If it still sticks when I bleed it up it will be coming off and getting cleaned again.

I also have a new petcock to fit which came through last week it's a vacuum one. Thank you for the link titanium bits are the way forward. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:55:15 AM »
Make sure you wet the seal with brake fluid before you put the pistons in.
Ditch those old ones they will rust more and you will get a total lock up one day.
Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline Mutt963

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
Hello

Front brake all done, calliper re-build was a success. New pistons, seals, and boots. Really surprised at the amount of crud in the master cylinder. Brake bled up really well and is now spot on.  ;D

Hopefully will have time this week to on the rear.  :lol: Weather in the UK has just started to look good, I would like t get the VX on the road for summer. Jobs left to do

Rear Brake
Cooling System - hoses look like they need a change
Fork seals - and oil change
Oil Change
Fuel tap replacement
Carb balance
MOT

Master cylinder before

Master cylinder after

Fitted

Rear Brake

You won't believe it but I took the R-clips out and the pins just came straight out!! I have some nice titanium ones to replace them as recommended by Max. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:39:29 PM »
Really good work, Chris!

Glad to see cooling system hoses are on your list for replacement. Mine sprang a leak (radiator top hose) just this last Friday on the way to work. I'm going to replace them all - if one's gone, the others are likely on the way out too! While I'm at it with the radiator out, I'm giving it a clean and re-profiling the fins. Especially the ones directly behind the front wheel where grit and muck get flung and the fins are most flattened. There's a pic of a good tool to use for this job here: http://vx800forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3699.msg27517#msg27517

I'm making a similar tool, but have also used a piece of plastic from a chinese take-away container cut to size. That seems to work OK, but can be a little bit 'bendy'.

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia.

Offline Mutt963

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
Thank you Max

Shame to hear about your hoses, mine are quite perished and I thought I would replace them whilst carrying out the other work. Do you know where I could get a set of braided lines for the brakes? Quite fancy a clear stainless set.

I shall definitely be making a re-profiling tool, I shall first try a bin opening key that we use at work. If it works I shall post a picture as I think they are universal and they are quite stiff. My radiator is missing its cover which I have since purchased, so you can imagine the state of some of the fins!  :o

Cheers
Chris

Offline Mad Max

• VXaholic
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »
Hi Chris.

Try ebay for your braided lines e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-VX800-Roadster-1991-1997-HEL-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Front-Brake-Lines-/281382211761?hash=item4183afd0b1:g:XCYAAOSwGotWmc0l

Looking forward to seeing pics of your radiator tool. Go gently on the fins - they are quite delicate aluminium and break easily. I found gently prying up the flattened ones with a sharp knife before running a piece of suitable plastic down between them was the best option. I have learned that I need a couple of pieces of thin plastic - one to hold inside a cleared 'channel', and one to flatten the adjacent fin once I've pried it up.

I made a perforated stainless steel radiator guard a few years ago, and it's saved my radiator from worse damage, but the damage I'm repairing was done with the original (not at all effective) radiator guard in place. Of course, nothing will prevent mud and muck finding its way between the fins eventually!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Max in Melbourne, Australia.

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
I took my old lines to a car brake repair shop and asked them to make me a set of road legal braided  lines.

Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline Mutt963

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
I took my old lines to a car brake repair shop and asked them to make me a set of road legal braided  lines.

Top tip thank you Richard, I shall remember that one. I have manage to purchase a set from a UK company for