Author Topic: My '91 VX800  (Read 1361 times)

Offline CrackedFenders

My '91 VX800
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:47 AM »
I picked this up about a month ago just to see if I am as bad at working on bikes as I am on trucks (just a smidgen of sarcasm). The fellow I purchased this from said it sat outside for about seven months uncovered. The fork seals are leaking, the fuel cock is garbage, and the fuel pump had a ridiculous amount of buildup in it. Other than that, everything seems fine. I put a brand new battery in it and it turns over just fine. The carbs have been cleaned, but I couldn't really do anything more than that without having a new fuel cock and me not having more knowledge on the entire vacuum system. If anyone has a diagram of the hose routing or would be able to give a description on what goes to where, it would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to scour this forum for said information so if it is available, please do not hesitate to call me a nub. If you have any advice on where to find parts, other than eBay, please let me know. thank you all in advance!
No, you may not borrow my tools.

Offline Rick

• VXaholic
  • 76 yrs. old. Every day above ground is a good day
Re: My '91 VX800
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
Cracked -

Do a search on this forum for "manual", and you can download the service manual with info you need.

Good luck with the new bike.  Please keep us posted.

Rick

Offline oilundernails

Re: My '91 VX800
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:29:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good bike. Is that a Corbin seat? vacuum hoses very simple, one from front carb to fuel pump, (doesn't work on the rear carb, I tried), one from rear carb to (vac) fuel tap. There's a  free download of the complete service manual on the forum for the correct routing, but as long as nothings too near hot parts and not kinked or perished, it'll work. There's also a list of possible faults specific to the Vx in the FAQs. Depends where you are for parts, some are generic, or used on other Suzukis, some specific (such as the swing arm).There are also some major differences  between US and Euro models, due to different cranks being used, but also handlebar mounts etc. I've been trying to establish a list of alternative parts that fit (or can be made to fit) not much success so far, so if you find any please add them. there's also a Facebook page, but you are more likely to find help here, if you need it, but it might take a while.