Author Topic: Picked up a 1990 VX800 today, would appreciate any/all input  (Read 841 times)

Offline rloppy

I've been interested in getting an adventure style bike for a while now just because I'm a big tall guy and imo they're more comfortable having ridden the bikes of friends/family before.  My first and only other bike that I road was a late 90's kawasaki 600.  But I love the sound and look of a vtwin and when I started reading about the VX800 I knew I had to get one.  I picked up a 1990 with 25k miles on it today and then dropped it off at a shop for new tires. 

I'd really like anyone's input on some of the more popular mods and upgrades available on how to set the bike up to be more comfortable, the kind of bars/mirrors, foot controls, exhaust swap, better carbs, etc.

Some details on my bike as it sits right now and the bit I could really use input on:
was told that the carbs lean out just a bit when riding and heavy cross winds are blowing
I want to change out the bars/mirrors for sure
My shoe size is 14-15 so I need to change the pegs/pedals to something larger and would really appreciate suggestions
The exhaust baffles were removed by the original owner and then jb welded back when the previous owner bought it
Previous owner told me it sometimes smokes a little at start up but once it's warmed up that goes away
I didn't see it but he also said that it was on it's side for a bit and some of the oil in the final drive leaked out(is that a thing that can happen?)
He said that there was a little oil leaking at some point near the front valve.

Offline Vishnuisgod

• Administrator
  • VXaholic
Re: Picked up a 1990 VX800 today, would appreciate any/all input
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
I've been interested in getting an adventure style bike for a while now just because I'm a big tall guy and imo they're more comfortable having ridden the bikes of friends/family before.  My first and only other bike that I road was a late 90's kawasaki 600.  But I love the sound and look of a vtwin and when I started reading about the VX800 I knew I had to get one.  I picked up a 1990 with 25k miles on it today and then dropped it off at a shop for new tires. 

I'd really like anyone's input on some of the more popular mods and upgrades available on how to set the bike up to be more comfortable, the kind of bars/mirrors, foot controls, exhaust swap, better carbs, etc.
Most after market bars work, you need 7/8" size. however theres not a lot of room with cables, and hoses..... so you can go shorter, but not to much taller...

a few ppl have fabbed forward controls, but its a build your own...
same for exhaust, theres the occasional  set on ebay, or check here on the buy n sell area. rare, as hens teeth...

Some details on my bike as it sits right now and the bit I could really use input on:
was told that the carbs lean out just a bit when riding and heavy cross winds are blowing the carbs are known issues, keep them clean with seafoam, and theyll treat you well. Sync is tedious but not hard....makes a lot of difference.
My shoe size is 14-15 so I need to change the pegs/pedals to something larger and would really appreciate suggestions
The exhaust baffles were removed by the original owner and then jb welded back when the previous owner bought it
Previous owner told me it sometimes smokes a little at start up but once it's warmed up that goes away the vacuum petcock is prone to failure, replace ASAP so you know its ok. If youve got smoke its probably from the rear cyl, try using a DPR8EA8 spark plug (go 1 step hotter)
I didn't see it but he also said that it was on it's side for a bit and some of the oil in the final drive leaked out(is that a thing that can happen?)
must.
go.                             My CJD is clearing up.
faster.

Offline Tilos

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:38:17 PM »

was told that the carbs lean out just a bit when riding and heavy cross winds are blowing
Previous owner told me it sometimes smokes a little at start up but once it's warmed up that goes away
There are better choices out there for an Adventure Style bike with a much more open/upright riding position for a big guy to start with, and would be easier to convert to Adv.
A KLR 650 comes to mind, made/sold forever and could be in about the same price range as a VX.

That said the fluid in the dif should be even with the bottom of the plug hole, it's the higher/bigger plug.
The carbs usually remain sync'd until someone fiddles with them chasing a problem/symptoms that originates from somewhere else.
A manual and vac gauge would be a great benefit if you plan to work the carbs or other stuff on your VX.
That, and there is a lot of tech info in the other areas of this forum.
 ;D

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »
The diff has a small breather hole if you take the wheel off it should be above the drive gear so if the bike was laying down it could leak oil.

Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline Tilos

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »
Installing risers to raise the bars is simpler/quicker/cheaper than changing handlebars.
Something I do to every bike new to me, takes about 5 minutes.
You might need to reroute the throttle cables behind the right fork leg though  :P
Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7GBZOK?aaxitk=tz3.HptIrBtELYO.P8v8ug&pd_rd_i=B01N7GBZOK&pf_rd_p=3fade48a-e699-4c96-bf08-bb772ac0e242&hsa_cr_id=8715889740201&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=kemimoto%207%2F8%22%20Handlebar%20Risers%2030mm%20Height%20for%20Kawasaki%20Honda%20Suzuki%20Yamaha%20Ducati%20ATV%20Dirt%20Bike
Look around on amazon for others,
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:44:41 AM by Tilos »

Offline SimonS

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »
I'm 6 ft 5 and ordered forward controls by aliexpress.
 I need to  adjust them because it is made for a Harley but it looks better and is much cheaper than an VX fitted set.

anything