Author Topic: Different bars for wrist pain & hand numbness?  (Read 548 times)

Offline VegasRider

Different bars for wrist pain & hand numbness?
« on: June 30, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »
After 30 years of computer programming, my wrists and finger joints are really starting to complain.  My right hand and wrist has always disliked riding but now, after 30 minutes on my bike the complain so bad I need to pull over and shake it out. 

So, the VX I bought last year had been dropped lightly.  The broken and bent parts have all been replaced except the bars.  She currently has stock bars but the right side is bent back about 2 inches from where it should be.

So, I have read that drag bars on a bike give less wrist stress and I am wondering if anyone here has a recommendation on which drag bars fit best and maybe are good for older wrists.

TNX all
-Ken

Offline Tinbasher

• VXaholic
Re: Different bars for wrist pain & hand numbness?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
You can get foam rubber grips that should help but try relaxing you grip a little as well, no need to choke the grips.

Richard
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the Hell happened!
1993 Pearl Black 48,000 on the clock (Rebuild complete)
1990 Pearl Black with 126,000k`s on the clock (soon to be spares)
1990 Pearl black with 18,000 on the clock (crash victim for spares)[br

Offline Tilos

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
After 30 years of computer programming, my wrists and finger joints are really starting to complain.  My right hand and wrist has always disliked riding but now, after 30 minutes on my bike the complain so bad I need to pull over and shake it out. 

So, the VX I bought last year had been dropped lightly.  The broken and bent parts have all been replaced except the bars.  She currently has stock bars but the right side is bent back about 2 inches from where it should be.

So, I have read that drag bars on a bike give less wrist stress and I am wondering if anyone here has a recommendation on which drag bars fit best and maybe are good for older wrists.

TNX all
-Ken
My go to relief for this stuff is to add risers under the bars, with the cable length being the limiting factor.
It's a simple 5 minute fix for less than $25.
 https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Handlebar-Risers-Height-Fits/dp/B0145REG62/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=handlebar+risers&qid=1561910382&s=gateway&sr=8-12
Another thing I've done is have Carpel Tunnel Release on both wrists and hands :o

I believe drag bars on a VX without tall/swept back risers would end up with your upper body leaning forward putting more weight onto your wrists/hands.
I had an S50 that came stock with drag bars and 6" risers but those bars are 1".
I found the ride position was leaning too far forward so I changed risers to 4" so Drag bars were closer to me for less reach.
 ;D

Offline VegasRider

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 07:22:02 AM »
Of course, foam rubber grips!  I have a pair for my Sportster and I didn't even think of getting a pair for my VX. 

Risers, now that's a good idea.  If the foam grips don't completely fix the issue, I will get the risers as well.

Thanks again.
-Ken