Author Topic: '91 vx800 $500 obo - SOLD  (Read 3203 times)

Offline eporter

• http://
'91 vx800 $500 obo - SOLD
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
The bike sold on friday 7/21/06.

I live in Portland, OR and I've got a '91 vx800 with 11,985 miles that I'm not riding and would like to get rid of. I thought I'd let you guys know about it first before posting to craigslist.

The bike has been sitting for about 2 years. Before that I rode it semi regularly as a commuter. Recently I have cleaned out the tank and put fresh gas in. The bike will start and idle but dies when you give it any throttle. It appears to need a little carb work and possibly a new fuel petcock. From the sound of things on this forum, many of you could have this thing running in no time.

It has some cosmetic damage(small dent in tank, rust on pipes etc.) and a "previous damage" tag on the title but when I was riding it I never had any problems.

Currently I don't have the resources or desire to fix it up to sell at value so I'm offering it up, as is, for $500 obo.

Email eric@risingtrout.net or call 503.247.5924 if you want to know more or want some pictures.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:04:58 AM by eporter »

Offline Tumwater920

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
I would love to come and see it.
Drop me a line
OlyWa510(AT)Yahoo.com
I am in Olympia and could come down some evening during the week, or whenever you might have some free time..................
Dave
JS1VS51A4L2100285
1990 Burgandy
19,101 (6.05)
28,027 (9.21.06)
31,207 (2.8.07)
32,153 (3.30.07)

Offline Tumwater920

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:41 PM »
Well,
I took a look at the VX in Portland and it is a great buy!! Well, actually a steal when you consider the condition and price of the one I bought!! This bike is ready for someone with a little time and know how to come along and easily bring it back to life!!
The Bad first (I like to end on a good note)
-Paint will need to be redone, some bubbles here and there
-There is a crack in the left side fairing; about ? to ? inch long (check my post about plastic welding to fix that one)
-The odometer may not be telling the whole story about the VX as Eric told me that there was an old registration card that had a few more miles on it than the OD said when he got it.
-There is a tiny (about the size of a quarter) dent in the tank on the side
-The jardines have seen better days, there is some rust and a little (again about the size of a US quarter) dent. I say take em off, sand em down and paint em with high temp header paint (I did mine on my VX and it has worked out great!!)
-The bike had been keyed and needed all new locks, which Eric had installed by Suzuki so maybe this is a good thing , I guess it is at least a good way to transition  into ?

The Good
-This bike needs about 2 hours worth of work (you won?t even finish the six pack) to be running. Just looking at where the cables are sitting it is obviously out of balance, and the carbs are gummed up. It?ll idle at around 1000rpms and fall up and down between 500-1000 rpms and the oil light will flash when it gets low. I figure that is due to the fact that when the bike is not running all the instrument lights come on. Give it gas and it dies when you hit about 1100-1200 rpms. I say tear the carbs off, throw in some Seafoam and when you get the carbs cleaned and back on let it idle for a while with some weafoam in the tank. You could just switch out the gas lines and clean the pump while your at it, but then you might finish the six pack. Toss in some new air filters ( if your in Washington, BEntbike has them, for ~15 bucks a piece) and sparkplugs and call her good!
-The jardines have a nice deep rumble even at such low RPMs
-It doesn?t seem to be suffering from the leaky petcock syndrome, I checked the drain tube from the rear airbox and it didn?t seem to be wet. 1991 may have been the year they instituted the vacuum petcock, I don?t know?.
-The tires look like they will at least get you home, good tread but a little cracking on the sides
-All the stock bits and pieces seem to be there. Turn signals, reflectors, etc?
-the seat is in great condition
-It has new fork seals
-Eric is a great guy and he is asking this price because he knows that there is a VXer out there that will bring it back to life and not part it out on eBay to make some scratch (although like he says , once it is yours it is no business of his what you do with it)

I really hope someone picks it up and decides to keep it. I still am an inch away from trying, right now funds and the planets aren?t in the proper position to pick it up. Also my VX is running great and we go back a little ways at this point, I am not sure I could love another the way I love it:) I probably shouldn?t even be writing this, I could let folks sleep on the deal and call him in a few weeks when everything is back in order in my life and start my VXollection?hmmm :)

So , if you are thinking about it and have said to your self ?.maybe?then stop the fence sitting and give Eric a call, either bring a truck or bring some tools and a couple cans of seafoam and carb cleaner?.from what I saw you will be one of the luckiest men from the forum?

Oh and if you do buy it, I may have a new set of jardines for you:) just let me know?..

On a side note:
My rear carb was running really rich, and after reading some other posts I decided to ad a washer to the top of the jet needle just to push it down a little during the initial throttle pull. I found some sea foam, and rebalanced the carbs (again) and the bike seems to be running great. For a while I had to turn the rear screw out about 4.5 turns and now it is back to about 1.8 turns........drove it down to portland to see Eric's bike and the trip was great! Ah what a torrid love affair:)  
Dave
JS1VS51A4L2100285
1990 Burgandy
19,101 (6.05)
28,027 (9.21.06)
31,207 (2.8.07)
32,153 (3.30.07)

Offline NCDave

• VXaholic
    • http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ncdave
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »
Wish I was closer, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

If anyone decides to buy it for parts, I'm still looking for a replacement for my speedo/tach housing that's all busted up.

Dave

Offline vwbrian

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:49:41 AM »
Hello All
This bike has been purchased.
Tumwater920 I could use some help on this one if you are willing to give me a hand. I will be trucking the bike up to Tacoma on Sunday morning from Portland. I want to get this thing on the road as I just got my MC licence recently and haven't done much road riding. :)
Brian
VWBRIAN 1991 VX800

Offline Tumwater920

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:13:08 AM »
Glad to hear that it'll see the road, and congrats...
I am pretty tied up the next week or so trying to move to portland, we should exchange emails and I would be more than happy to help as much as I can.

Dave
JS1VS51A4L2100285
1990 Burgandy
19,101 (6.05)
28,027 (9.21.06)
31,207 (2.8.07)
32,153 (3.30.07)

Offline vwbrian

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »
Hello Tumwater920
I am going back to the portland area on Wed with a empty small pick up if you need anything hauled down let me know. I usually leave after 2pm.

I did get the VX started and road it around the neighbor hood but it seams to have a fuel delivery problem like maybe not enough vaccuum to operate the fuel cock? It ran pretty good at 4000-6000 rpm. The carbs need to be synced up. could that cause the vaccumm to be to low to deliver the fuel? It could also be that the reserve valve is not working properly.
Thanks
Brian
VWBRIAN 1991 VX800

anything